Undermount? Topmount/flushmount? One bowl, two bowls, quarter bowls, drainer or removable drainer, rounded or square? What to choose?
Some say that over 60% of your time in the kitchen is at the kitchen sink, so some thought is needed into the sink you choose. Undermount sinks sit below the surface of the bench and give a sleek look. They make wiping the bench top a breeze, with no lip. Topmounted sinks, sometimes called flushmount and have a lip or rim that rests on the surface of the benchtop and held in place by clips.
Some things to consider when choosing kitchen sinks:
The overall design of the kitchen?
- Where is the best place for the sink functionally and also aesthetically.
- Is there enough room to put dishes?
- Is the bowl deep enough for your favourite cooking pots, trays, boards & dishes?
- Is it close to the dishwasher for easy rinsing and stacking?
- As you may be standing at it a lot – is it facing the right view eg, outside view, family room view?
If you’re putting in an island bench – do you really want the sink at it?
- Water can splash from sink area to where others may be sitting at bench.
- Dirty dishes on or in the sink are often in full view
- If sink is on the island its harder to use it as a servery for entertaining etc.
Pros & Cons to having a Topmount or Undermount sink.
Some say that one is easier to clean than the other, but in the end they both still need cleaning – just in different spots. Undermount sinks tend to give a more streamlined look to the kitchen and can easily blend into the benchtop to give an uncluttered look. You often don’t have to have a drainer with an undermount bowl which also helps with the streamlined look.
- Option of no drainer
- Can have grooves put into stone benches – see pics below
- Can have a detachable drainer, that can be put away when not in use
- Come in many different shapes and sizes, from rounded edges to square
- Can easily have a large deep bowl that fit chopping boards in flat for easy cleaning.
- There are many accessories made by the manufacturer that make it very functional.
- Many designs and combinations of bowls & drainers. Double sink, 1 3/4 bowls, left hand drainer, right hand drainer etc.
- Can come with accessories, chopping boards etc
- Companies are bringing out modern shaped topmount styles
So when researching your new kitchen: the finishes, benchtops, handles, appliances etc make sure you have everything covered – including the kitchen sink!
Our Friends at E&S Trading have a wonderful range of sinks and also have a great video to watch to help you in your sink decision. Click on link below to take you straight there.